Nine Elms Dedication Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which were the most pictorially elusive Bulleids?

2 posters

Go down

Which were the most pictorially elusive Bulleids?  Empty Which were the most pictorially elusive Bulleids?

Post by 34028 Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:32 pm

Hi all,
Which were the most pictorially elusive Bulleids when in service? I'm reasonably sure that Eddystone and Sir Keith Park are near the top of the list, but were there any others?

Pete

Back to top Go down

Which were the most pictorially elusive Bulleids?  Empty Re: Which were the most pictorially elusive Bulleids?

Post by Nickt Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:55 pm

It's an interesting question, because we all think of some locos as being "rare", likewise photos of them. We'll never know the real answer because most photos are never made public; there must be thousands in dusty boxes in their owner's attic, and sadly most will disappear in the next few years.

My impression is that photos of Bulleid on the Eastern and Central sections are rarer than those on the Waterloo lines, but of course more operated in the west, and they lasted longer. Without doubt the level of photography increased during the 1950's, and train photography became much more widespread in the 1960's when we realised steam was going to disappear.

Looking at the SLL galleries it's noticable that there are few photos of 10, 28 and 53 in unmodified condition.

https://picasaweb.google.com/116839141471298057728/

We also have surprisingly few photos of 257 Squadron operating in the 1990's at Swanage and other heritage lines.

Any help building our collection is always welcome.

Nick

Nickt

http://www.southern-locomotives.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Which were the most pictorially elusive Bulleids?  Empty Re: Which were the most pictorially elusive Bulleids?

Post by 34028 Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:57 am

It's something I've been wondering about for a while. I'm slowly collecting all the books I can find either specifically on Bulleids or with sections/ chapters on them and from memory certainly 28 and 53 don't show up much. I'll have to have a trawl thru again just to see which of SLL's loco's appear most.

Pete

Back to top Go down

Post by 34028 Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:39 am

I had a look thru 5 of my books last night and found pics of 10,28 and 53 all in original condition including one of 28 under construction.

Pete

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down