Nine Elms Dedication Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

End of steam at Bournemouth

+4
34017 Ilfracombe
johnc
donbenn
Bryan Benn
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

End of steam at Bournemouth Empty End of steam at Bournemouth

Post by Bryan Benn Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:21 am

8th July 1967 was a very sad day of course.

The end of steam on the SR, (but I think something did operate on the 9th?).

Don kindly sending me all the logs for the last weeks gives me the chance to look again at what I did on what became the last day of SR steam for me.

After an overnight and the special stop of the 08.30 at Woking we had a great run behind 35023 on the 08.30 Waterloo to Bournemouth.

There was then a long gap before we caught a demu from Bournemouth at 16.03 to Southampton, to catch 35023 at 17.57 to Waterloo.

So. Two questions.

Was that the day all of the "old team of gricers" spent part of the day on the beach at Bournemouth? I can remember doing that around that time.

And why did we catch an emu to Southampton to catch the "last" up train? I think it was because it was a Channel Islands Boat train that we were couldn't be certain would stop at Bournemouth?

Bryan Benn

Back to top Go down

End of steam at Bournemouth Empty Re: End of steam at Bournemouth

Post by donbenn Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:57 pm

I think some of us spent the day on the beach but others went through to Weymouth. I don't think th up CI called at Bournemouth but ran non stop Poole? to Southampton.

Here's some of the group at Bournemouth (the pretty one is now my wife and is not much changed after 42 years!). Mr T doesn't feature so I assume he went through to Weymouth.
End of steam at Bournemouth Img04711

donbenn

Back to top Go down

Post by johnc Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:44 pm

We haven't changed much after 42 years, just put on a bit of weight & lost a bit of hair!

I confirm that the up CI ran non stop from Poole to Southampton Central.

John

johnc

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryan Benn Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:01 pm

donbenn wrote:I think some of us spent the day on the beach but others went through to Weymouth. I don't think the up CI called at Bournemouth but ran non stop Poole? to Southampton.

Here's some of the group at Bournemouth (the pretty one is now my wife and is not much changed after 42 years!). Mr T doesn't feature so I assume he went through to Weymouth.
End of steam at Bournemouth Img04711

I think that little boy sitting to the future Mrs B's left is me?

Bryan Benn

Back to top Go down

Post by donbenn Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:37 pm

Indeed yes Wedgie. From the left sitting, Tony Leaver, Bob Randall, JB, Wedgie, JC. Standing Les Kent, unknown, unknown, Alan Hayes, John Randall (?)

Don

donbenn

Back to top Go down

Post by 34017 Ilfracombe Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:17 pm

Good lord, we were all young once then lol. Seriously; we had you good people riding behind us.. And all this is good history!
34017 Ilfracombe
34017 Ilfracombe
Cleaner
Cleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by donbenn Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:34 pm

Later the same day here's 35023 entering Soton on the up Channel Isles, some of the group standing right. Driver Pearce of Eastleigh gave us a good run up and for me anyway the end of Southern steam.

End of steam at Bournemouth Img04813

donbenn

Back to top Go down

Post by johnc Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:03 am

The one between Alan Hayes & me, is that not "Doze" Thompson?

John

johnc

Back to top Go down

Post by donbenn Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:04 am

Could well be but he was actually awake which was rare.

Don

donbenn

Back to top Go down

Post by johnc Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:12 am

And for those who remember such things (JT are you paying attention?) my feet are resting on my "fast" case.

John

johnc

Back to top Go down

Post by 35005CP Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:43 am

I thought I recognized Tony Leaver in that shot of all of you - And if I hadn't have been given the answer to where was Bryan, I wouldn't have known that either - But great you guys having done what you did to keep the historical movements going! :Thumps Up:
35005CP
35005CP
Admin
Admin

https://nineelms.forumotion.com & http://www.wix.com/35005cp

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryan Benn Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:56 am

johnc wrote:And for those who remember such things (JT are you paying attention?) my feet are resting on my "fast" case.

John
I remember that case!

Come on John, After all those years. Tell us what was in it!

Bryan Benn

Back to top Go down

Post by donbenn Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:49 pm

And if you look closely JB is wearing an engineman's hat. Not sure where that came from!

Don

donbenn

Back to top Go down

Post by johnc Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:05 pm

My case didn't anything exciting, just sanwiches, a flask & my timing board.

John

johnc

Back to top Go down

End of steam at Bournemouth Empty End of Steam at Bournemouth

Post by Holland Afrika Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:43 am

JC your fast case was legendary and must have covered many miles, although I thought it contained crisps!!

What a day that last Saturday was. After the frenzy of the 2.45d with Gordon Porter on 34095, then the panic at Winchester as we struggled to get the 8.30d stopped at Woking, an endeavour in which we were surprisingly successful. We were then treated to a ‘last hurrah’ by 35023 in the capable hands of Billy Hughes. Yes Bryan a number got off at Bomo whilst some of us carried on with Holland Afrika to Weymouth, hence the absence of some stalwarts from the photograph.

At Weymouth we were planning to come up with 35023 on the up Channel Islands but, like you, were worried that if we did not manage to get on at Weymouth we would miss the lot. Accordingly we set off to Southampton with a Std 5 and joined you all there. I thought the CI ran fast to Soton otherwise we would have joined at Poole. Did I miss something; if so wind the clock back!

So that was it for me as I did not come out on the Sunday. However personally I could not have had a more appropriate finale than coming up behind my favourite Merchant. I recall we all went down to NE and saw her come back on shed. I also have a group photo on 35007 but am not yet clear how I post photos!

As I left NE that evening I remember thinking that the day we had dreaded had come and it was all over. If someone had tapped me on the shoulder and said-:

“Don’t worry mate, you will still be traveling on the main line behind Bulleids in 40+ years time, and they will have even have built a new A1 pacific”

I would have nodded sadly and called for the men in white coats!!! Very Happy

JT

Holland Afrika

Back to top Go down

Post by 35005CP Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:59 am

Follow this link to posting photos https://nineelms.forumotion.com/forum-information-f30/posting-pictures-in-threads-t107.htm

I would like to see 34017 Ilfracombe attempt this with these step-by-step instructions also - Which means he will have to dig out some old photos! Smile
35005CP
35005CP
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by donbenn Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:31 am

Wonderful stuff John, so my memory was correct, you did go through to Weymouth.

Whilst the runs with No. 23 that day were great my own personal lasting memory is of the 245 am down, as when we got to Winchester Gordon Porter sent word back that I was required up front. Great honour to be chosen from the 130 odd enthusiasts on board and so I rode down to Eastleigh in the cool damp dawn on that last morning of steam with Gordon driving 34095 in his usual way, regulator wide open. Like John T I didn't come out on the Sunday for nothing could surpass the events of Saturday.

Gordon Porter was my favourite engineman. He was a great driver and a gentleman; as close to a friend as any engineman ever got. Sad that both he and Tom Moult are no longer with us.

I will post a photo when I can get access to my main PC again. Andy will no doubt guide you through uploading phots, which works OK but needs a bit of care.

Don

donbenn

Back to top Go down

Post by 35005CP Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:47 am

It's alot simpler as other methods as uploading photos goes - I have copied the link for uploading photos into this thread. Photobucket you would have to go to another Internet Explorer page and firstly create an account and then learn how to upload photos - This is by all means the simplist option.

Andy
35005CP
35005CP
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Holland Afrika Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:31 am

Thanks for the photo tutorial so here goes.

Just to prove that we went on to Weymouth here is 35023 at the buffer stops with a youthful BB, JC and DS (no grey hair!). My question is how did BB and JC get into the photo at Bomo but go on to Weymouth?

Second Bryan this seems to disprove that you enjoyed the beach in Bournemouth as you appear to be in Weymouth!!!

JT
End of steam at Bournemouth 35023_11

Holland Afrika

Back to top Go down

Post by johnc Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:49 am

We came straight back on the 12.12 Weymouth - Bournemouth stopper with 73092 (& the fast case)

John

johnc

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryan Benn Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:17 am

Anyone got the log of the run from Bomo to Weymouth with 35023. JT must have surely behind that loco? !!!!

Wow. Wasn't I young. And slim!

JT. I'd love a full size copy of that photo emailed to me.

Bryan

Bryan Benn

Back to top Go down

Post by 35005CP Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:14 am

Bryan you looked fab then and you still do - You would give many a run for their money for climbing up Mountains!!

I'm enjoying these photos and memories from you guys and glad you all know how to post photos now!!!

Maybe create a thread dedicated to 35023 as she worked to the end???

Thanks

Andy
35005CP
35005CP
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Holland Afrika Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:16 am

Thanks JC I now realise why I have no other photos at Weymouth; I too came back with 73092 but I appear to have been so overcome by the day that I wrote nothing in my notebook!

Bryan I will e-mail a copy of the photo.

I do have a log of 23 to Weymouth but it did not have the excitement of 'pre Bomo'! Give me a short while and I will 'excel' it!

JT

Holland Afrika

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryan Benn Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:35 am

Holland Afrika wrote:Thanks JC I now realise why I have no other photos at Weymouth; I too came back with 73092 but I appear to have been so overcome by the day that I wrote nothing in my notebook!

Bryan I will e-mail a copy of the photo.

I do have a log of 23 to Weymouth but it did not have the excitement of 'pre Bomo'! Give me a short while and I will 'excel' it!

JT

Good man! I look forward to receiving it. The log that is. I think the photo has just got here.

Bryan Benn

Back to top Go down

Post by phoward Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:31 am

Group photo Bournemouth. Standing behind John C & Alan H its me Paul Howard.Think far right is Paul Little who also worked Worple Road offices Wimbledon.

phoward

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next