Nine Elms Dedication Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why wasn't there a West Country Pacific named "Falmouth"?

4 posters

Go down

Why wasn't there a West Country Pacific named "Falmouth"? Empty Why wasn't there a West Country Pacific named "Falmouth"?

Post by 34028 Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:55 am

Hi all
Having recently been to Falmouth in my truck it led me to wonder why a West Country pacific was never named after the town, does anyone have any idea's?

Pete

Back to top Go down

Why wasn't there a West Country Pacific named "Falmouth"? Empty Re: Why wasn't there a West Country Pacific named "Falmouth"?

Post by 35005CP Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:08 am

This is a very good point as Falmouth as shown here has a coat of arms...

Why wasn't there a West Country Pacific named "Falmouth"? Falmou10
35005CP
35005CP
Admin
Admin

https://nineelms.forumotion.com & http://www.wix.com/35005cp

Back to top Go down

Why wasn't there a West Country Pacific named "Falmouth"? Empty Re: Why wasn't there a West Country Pacific named "Falmouth"?

Post by MrHillingdon Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:06 pm

I think this was probably because it wasn't a Southern destination. Take a look at the names of all the West Country's and I suspect you'll find they are places once served by the SR.

Regards,

Paul

MrHillingdon

Back to top Go down

Post by Nickt Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:40 pm

Yes, they were all named after West Country destinations served by the SR, though the location of Eddystone station is in doubt......

"West Country" meant Dorset , Somerset, Devon & Cornwall. Note that Bournemouth and Poole were in Hampshire in those days, so those places didn't get a loco.

I think the furthest north is probably 34099 Lynmouth, the furthest east is 34105 Swanage, 34028 Eddystone is the furthest south and 34008 Padstow the furthest west. There is a place called Appledore (34100) in Kent, though the loco is obviously named after the place in north Devon. The two closest places named are Lynton and Lynmouth, being virtually the same place; ironically the SR closed the railway there in 1935.

Nickt

http://www.southern-locomotives.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by 34028 Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:40 am

You also have 34003 Salisbury and 34041 Wilton which are in Wiltshire and I think are the furthest east. In fact they're further east (just) than Bournemouth and Poole, so it does make you wonder what the Southern classed as being in the "West Country"?

Pete

Back to top Go down

Post by Nickt Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:42 pm

Yes, that's true. Hard to see why Salisbury was included but not Bournemouth, and if it was PR-driven it's hard to see how Eddystone was included (nothing personal, 34028) as for practical purposes you can't even visit it, let alone live there.

Nickt

http://www.southern-locomotives.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by 34028 Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:21 am

It would be interesting to know how they arrived at the decision to use Eddystone as a name.

Pete

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down