Nine Elms Dedication Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is preservation?

2 posters

Go down

What is preservation? Empty What is preservation?

Post by truckersteve Sat May 12, 2012 10:20 am

One of my other interests is motor sport. Some time ago there was much debate in magazines such as "Autosport" and "Motor Sport" regarding the racing of historic and vintage sports cars as to what was an acceptable level of restoration. It's a bit like the "Trigger's Broom" situation, "I've had it 20 years, it's had 17 new heads and 14 new handles". Someone, I forget who, was pedalling a Maserati 250F "as raced by Stirling Moss" around at H.S.C.C. and V.S.C.C. meetings but it was only about 10% original, the rest being either spares obtained from long forgotten store rooms or newly machined parts. I heard somewhere that someone had built a Morris Minor (known, in my day, as a Mowog Jellymould) from spare parts, is this an original car?

Tornado is obviously not a restoration. However what is? If you take a derelict and rebuild it and in the process replace most of the original, is this a restoration, a rebuild or something completely new? What are other peoples' views on the subject?

As an aside, in the First Great Unpleasantness the tribal class destroyer H.M.S. Nubian had her bow destroyed by a torpedo. About 2 weeks later her sister ship H.M.S. Zulu had her stern blown off by a mine. Chatham Dockyard joined the two wrecks together and the result was recommissioned as H.M.S. Zubian. might we see something on the lines of a WC/BB "Weymouth Squadron"?
truckersteve
truckersteve

Back to top Go down

What is preservation? Empty Re: What is preservation?

Post by 35005CP Sat May 12, 2012 7:24 pm

Good man!! I too am a huge fan of Motorsport! Formula 1 and MotoGP. I'm that much of a fan of F1 that I watch all practice sessions, Quali and Races! Now that is dedication for you!!
I used to go every year to the Aston Martin owners day races at Brands Hatch as I used to beable to get free tickets for it. It nearly always rained at these sessions and the amount of spin off's and crashes was horrendous.
My views on Tornado are that although she is a steam locomotive is a hard one. She is classed as a new build. But because she has some original fittings I would say that is preservation in itself.
I'd be interested to hear other people's views....
35005CP
35005CP
Admin
Admin

https://nineelms.forumotion.com & http://www.wix.com/35005cp

Back to top Go down

Post by truckersteve Sat May 12, 2012 7:49 pm

Back in the dim distant days before Pontius took flying lessons I spent about 14 or 15 years as a marshall for the BRSCC. Those were the days of James Hunt, Emerson Fittipaldi and Niki Lauda. Mind you the highlight of the season was Formula Ford Festival at Brands Hatch. I saw Ayrton Senna win it from a field of over 150, whittled down in heats, quarter finals, semi finals and final over 3 days; nobody was ever in front of him. We were on the post on the inside of the circuit between Paddock and Druids and if Senna came round Paddock with the car pointing in the direction it was going he'd made a mistake. Nowadays F1 has lost its appeal to me and I'm more interested in sports and GT racing - especially endurance. For me the highlight of the motorsport year is in about a month's time - Le 24 Heures Du Mans. Got to go now as free practice 3 from Barcelona is coming up on the red button.

Me t'inks we're straying off topic!

Last edited by truckersteve on Sat May 12, 2012 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling corrected)
truckersteve
truckersteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down