Nine Elms Dedication Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello folks

2 posters

Go down

Hello folks Empty Hello folks

Post by 7wheel Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:56 pm

I've just joined owing to a discussion about turntables on here, would you believe?

Hokay, I'm a reasonably old fart who grew up living in Edenbridge, with my bedroom window overlooking the SECR line a few chains east of Edenbridge station. Steam passenger services ceased on 4th Jan 1965, when I was 7 years old. In the following year (and ever since, truth be told), I felt as if I had been robbed. I had grown accustomed to the sights, sounds and smells of steam, latterly U class moguls and Standard 4 tanks, and grieved for their passing.

My experiences of Mr Bulleid's creations were limited to the odd Q1 passing on a turn past the end of the back garden and to family holidays in 1961 and 1962, when we travelled from Waterloo to Dawlish Warren via Exeter. I can barely describe the perception of noise and bustle at Waterloo, when as a 4-year-old I was reduced to tears by a newly-arrived Pacific blowing off at the buffer stops - it was incredibly loud! - but my father eagerly showed me the source of my discomfort. It was overwhelmingly impressive close-up and but one of its type to be seen there. Our arrival in Exeter also seemed to be full of Light Pacifics.

Anyway, enough of childhood! Turntables. Listings of turntables are to be had under the heading "Accommodation and Equipment at Stations" in the appendices to the working timetables. I've had a look round, and there are some facsimile copies printed in 1978 of the 1934 edition of the Western Section appendices going around, for less than a tenner - I'll endeavour to secure myself a copy soon. I actually have an original copy of the Central-Eastern Appendices, dated 26th March 1934 which, with their amendments pinned to pages, are an absolute joy to browse through. What seem to be the largest turntables available listed therein were of a standard size, 64' 10", so I'm curious as to the maxima on the Western section in general.

I'll stop blathering now, but nice to be here Smile

7wheel

Back to top Go down

Hello folks Empty Re: Hello folks

Post by 35005CP Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:03 pm

Hi,
A warm welcome to the site. I don't live a million miles away from you!!
It sounds as though you have alot of knowledge of railways!! Look forward to hearing any stories that you have to tell. Very Happy
Best Wishes
Andy
35005CP
35005CP
Admin
Admin

https://nineelms.forumotion.com & http://www.wix.com/35005cp

Back to top Go down

Post by 7wheel Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:46 pm

Thanks for the welcome Smile

Although I grew up in Edenbridge (do we ever grow up? Philosophical question!), I left at 17 for Scotland and returning south much later, have been in North London for the last 28 years.

I've resumed my interest in railways over the last 10 years or so; not sure that I have many interesting stories (although I did manage to crash a Shark plough into a level crossing on the Perth - Dundee line once a long time ago).

7wheel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum