Nine Elms Dedication Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rebuilt Bulleid light pacifics west of Exeter

4 posters

Go down

Rebuilt Bulleid light pacifics west of Exeter Empty Rebuilt Bulleid light pacifics west of Exeter

Post by jrdaddykins Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:27 am

As a child in the 50s and 60s I lived in Plymouth and was used to seeing Westcountry/Battle of Britain pacifics on the old Southern main line to Exeter via Okehampton and on the Okehampton to Bude and Padstow lines. We only ever saw the air-smoothed engines. Am I right in thinking that the rebuilt locos were barred west of Exeter?

jrdaddykins

Back to top Go down

Rebuilt Bulleid light pacifics west of Exeter Empty Re: Rebuilt Bulleid light pacifics west of Exeter

Post by johnc Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:29 am

My understaning is that rebuilt light pacifics were allowed Exeter - Plymouth but not on any other SR routes west of Exeter.

JC

johnc

Back to top Go down

Rebuilt Bulleid light pacifics west of Exeter Empty Re: Rebuilt Bulleid light pacifics west of Exeter

Post by jrdaddykins Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:42 am

Hi johnc. That's interesting. Maybe they were allowed in theory but never actually diagrammed on any regular workings.

jrdaddykins

Back to top Go down

Post by 34028 Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:54 am

I was under the impression the the rebuilts were too heavy for lines west of Exeter. Must away and check my reference books.

Pete

Back to top Go down

Post by 34028 Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:29 am

My understaning is that rebuilt light pacifics were allowed Exeter - Plymouth but not on any other SR routes west of Exeter.

That is basically what my references are telling me.

Pete

Back to top Go down

Post by Nickt Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:05 am

johnc wrote:My understanding is that rebuilt light pacifics were allowed Exeter - Plymouth but not on any other SR routes west of Exeter.

JC

Yes, that what I thought too, however I think it was unusual for rebuilts to work to Plymouth, and I don't think I have a photo of one doing so. Can anyone offer something to prove the point?

Nickt

http://www.southern-locomotives.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by 34028 Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:28 am

I've found a picture of 34096 TREVONE at Plymouth Friary ( page 157 of The book of the WC and BB Pacifics) and another of 34062 17 SQUADRON on the line to Okehampton (page 131 of the same book)

HTH

Pete

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down